"fast eddie feslon" (pencil, 5x7") 6-19-2022 (for my dad's father's day gift)


 






"fast eddie feslon" (pencil, 5x7") 6-19-2022 (for my dad's father's day gift)

this image was from the paul newman movie, "The Hustler" (1961). one of my dad's all-time favorite flics. this is the movie that inspired my dad to teach himself how to play pool, and he's fantastic at straight pool. in the movie, ames is the pool hall where the fated match between minnesota fats and fast eddie felson takes place. my dad actually made a sacred pilgrimage to ames! how cool is that? 

the scene i chose for this drawing is where this quote comes in...

(minnesota fats) "Shoot pool, Eddie."
(fast eddie felson)"I'm shooting pool, Fats. When I miss, you can shoot."

this is such a great moment in the film, cause fast eddie is the underdog but knows he's better than fats. the confidence in this moment kills me. classic.

if you look at the original still from the movie and then back at my drawing, you can see i changed the position of newman in it. i thought he should be leaned down over the table more, and i also pulled his elbow back a bit and changed the position of his head...i had to grid this one out and was even required to take some hand reference. especially for that left hand, whew! (hahaha, looking at the drawing now, i can see that the perspective of the closest rail is wrong...oops! live and learn.)

anyway, my dad loves the drawing and said he will frame and hang it in his pool room. (aw)
it was such an honor to do this for my dad, he's the best! he's the one who taught me how to play pool, after all. (among other countless things!)  i will always think of my dad immediately anytime the subject of pool comes up! always. love you, dad! you're such an amazing creature...


Comments